torsdag 26 november 2015

Speak In Silence


Student: "If silence is golden, why then do you talk so much?"
Master: "Well, have you tried not to?"



§§§

Student: "If talking is such a waste of time, why do you spend so much time talking?"
Master: "Because I want to."
Student: "But is it not bad wanting to waste time?"
Master: "Oh I don't want to waste time, I simply do it."
Student: "That aside, is wasting time not a bad thing?"
Master: "Sure, but is that such a bad thing?"

§

Student: "If bad things come out of talking, why do you do it?"
Master: "Because I want to."
Student: "But isn't that bad?"
Master: "Well I don't always want to be good!"

§

Student: "If talking doesn't lead anywhere, why do you speak?"
Master: "I don't always want to go somewhere."

§

Student: "If talk is empty, why do you speak?"
Master: "You're the one who keeps asking me questions!"

§

Student: "If silence is golden, why then do you talk so much?"
*smack*
Student: "Ouch! What was that?!"
Master: "Pure comedic gold."

§

Student: "If rationality and symbolic processess divide man, why do you utilize its instrument, language?!"
Master: "In dividing, there is the undivided."

§

Student: "If words lead astray, why continue using them?!"
Master: "If I do not speak, my being will speak for me."
Student: "Isn't being where emptiness and tranquility comes from?"
Master: "Sometimes."
Student: "Well how will I know when it's this way or that way?!"
Master: "I'll tell you."

§§§



Student: "Why do you speak at all if meditation is the superior path to enlightenment?"

Master: "Not doing so would destroy my ego."
Student: "But isn't the destruction of the ego what we're trying to accomplish?!"
Master: "Eh, that's just (the ego) talk."

1 kommentar:

  1. Raymond Smullyan and Luke Rhinehart really are great at these kind of humoristic zen buddhist pseudo-koans, so I recommend reading them for more of this type of dialogues.

    SvaraRadera